Sunday, October 5, 2008

Interview with My Lovely Girl Anne Hathaway ( In Rachel Getting Married The Movie)

What was the coolest thing about playing Kym?

You mean besides the hair? I think for me, it was the first time that’d I’d ever not editorialized a character, if you know what I’m saying. Sometimes I felt like, okay, I’m going to know my character better than anyone. Here’s what you’re supposed to like about her, here’s what you’re not supposed to like about her, here’s where she’s coming from and here’s her journey. In a way I would overthink it, and I had a realization about a month before we made this movie that it really doesn’t matter if I like Kym or not…Actually the only thing that was important to her story is that you understand her. The worst thing I could do would be to, in any way, try to manipulate her, or to try and gain the audience’s sympathy or respect or anything like that; that was never my intention. I just figured [out], “Oh my God, all I have to do, my only job is to make her truthful. And if you make her truthful she’ll be understood and then people can take away from her what they want, but she’ll be honest.”

Who’d you understand her to be?

I’ve gotten a lot of questions like, “What was it like playing a selfish character?” And I say, “Yeah, Kym definitely has flaws and sometimes you want to smack her and everything,” but the thing I love about this movie is, underneath it, here’s a girl fighting for her survival. She’s fighting for her survival, she’s fighting to stay sober, and then to the people that say she’s selfish, I’m just like, “Do you see what she puts up with in the movie? The way she’s perceived? The way she’s treated?” She’s there putting up with it because she loves her sister. Kym is fierce. Kym has the biggest heart of any character that I’ve ever encountered, and she’s frighteningly intelligent and she’s just really extreme…Kym overwhelms your senses. She’s so much fun to play. [Laughs]

Jonathan said that the looseness of Jenny [Lumet]’s screenplay made him feel more free as a director. Did you feel that same freeness because of the material, and were you kept on your toes because of the shooting style?

Do you do yoga? You know when you’re trying something new and the only way to do this incredibly difficult pose is to be as relaxed as possible? That’s kind of what making this movie was like. There were so many things being thrown at you, but all you can kind of do is say, “Alright, fine, let’s try that. Jonathan Demme is steering the ship and I’m happy to be aboard.” In a way, I personally feel that your own personal hang-ups and feelings don’t really matter when you’re on set. It’s all about telling the story and doing the scene and telling the truth. I just automatically try to feel comfortable wherever I am, because if I’m uncomfortable that’s only going to stilt me and make me more self-conscious, and I’m kind of both of those things anyway. The script, the consistency of it, the complexity of the conflict, the truth of the characters made it very easy because there was nothing you had to bring to it. You just kind of had to show up and find the truth everyday.

Do you think that events that take place during the teen years influence the rest of your life, or can you put it in the back drawer if something traumatic happens?

I think one of the most beautiful things we have going for us as human beings is our ability to heal…Everything that has happened to me, good and bad, I feel has happened for a reason and I’ve been made stronger from the good stuff and much, much, much, much, much stronger from the bad stuff. I don’t want to put anything in a drawer, but I do want to let things rest and heal, and it just becomes a part of you. One of my favorite lines in the movie is [from] the woman who gets up at the first N.A. meeting and says, “I’m an addict. That’s just one fact, one fact among many.” I think that when you’re talking about your past, that is what happens. Depends on, of course, the level of the trauma.

I felt more willingness after I played this character to put myself out there and not be afraid of being judged.

Did this role stay with you for a while, as an actor, afterward?

I didn’t want to let Kym go. I’m not going to lie. I didn’t want to let her go; I loved her. I felt more inspired to be honest. I felt more willingness after I played this character to put myself out there and not be afraid of being judged or misunderstood or disliked. I found a lot of confidence in this role to be able to approach people and say, “Look, as long as I’m myself, you can like me or dislike me, but at least it’s under honorable pretences.” I felt really comfortable, and I found that level of honesty and self-representation has really evened my relationship with people that I love in my life and it’s made my life better. Even if Kym’s not with me anymore, her lessons are.

How are you dealing with all of the [Oscar] buzz?

What buzz? Bees, you mean? [Laughs] It’s thrilling to have inspired people in a performance to put their passion out there on display. That’s so cool, and I’ve never done anything that warranted that before or garnered it. I’m enjoying having my work enjoyed. That being said, ultimately the buzz doesn’t matter until the nominations come out, so I’m not really thinking about it too much.

You and Rosemarie didn’t have much time to meet pre-production?

We didn’t want to. We went out to have a dinner, and it was a little awkward because we were half in character, half really curious about what the other person was like. We didn’t really try. We thought the awkwardness would be good between the two of us because the characters don’t know each other very well…and are kind of getting to know each other again during the course of the movie. We never focused on that or doubted that. We kind of kept a really respectful, friendly distance from each other. There was never any question that it was personal; it was just what’s going to serve the story best. We’ve gotten to know each other since the movie finished, and I really like her. She’s a great girl, and she’s so adorable! She’s, like, the most adorable person on the planet. She’s a phenomenal actress and I expect such great things for her and doors to open from this performance because it’s just magnificent.

No comments: